Sunday, July 15, 2012

Meander

A meander, in general, is a bend in a sinuous watercourse and that is exactly what we expected. Not too long after we Eat Crow I decide maybe I should leave the boat behind and just walk and swim if needed.

 I look at the charts and pick a small creek that I expect is shallow with a lot of bendy bits. It's hot out and this is a hot weather activity.


These two are just above and below. I use an all weather camera so I don't have to worry about cold, sand, mud, water or impact. The black bug on the left was one of hundreds of small dragon fly like bugs hanging out in the sun and the right was my attempt at getting a trout photo. There was a school of 5 or 6 but as you can see I got nothing.
  



If your not pulling a boat or dealing with neck deep water these things are easy.
Someone likes this stream. I was surprised to see erosion control. Who knows how old it is.

This looks like a mess but it was easy to move through.

If my wife gets to come back in another life she's going to be a duck. I'm hoping for River Otter for myself.


This low dam looks harmless but they can be very dangerous. We take a land trail and avoid the 6 foot deep hole.
Underwater photo: Look at this big fella. His shell is about 18 inch long.
I don't know how we disturbed him but he came out for us.

The rocks are a little slippery but they are only bothersome for short stretches.

I have to fly out for work in a few hours so we hit the trail.
A mile and a half shoe shuttle and we're back to the van.

This was just a short trip to try out waterway hikes. We only had about 2 hours to Meander. It makes up for a miserable bike ride yesterday. We tried to go 50 miles but after 3 flats and other issues we clip some corners and end at 30 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun, I was just checking a creek today to do the exact same thing. Lets get together soon and do some adventuring. Later DR

    ReplyDelete